Friday, August 22, 2008

The Aftermath of Painting

The painters, who had promised to finish everything by Wednesday (I was expecting Thursday), did not finish until very late on Friday. That meant that all week, except for breakfast, I had to eat out. I do like going to restaurants, but find that having dinner out often causes me to sleep badly, as I have food allergies. Lunch is fine, since everything is digested by bedtime, but dinner, with all the additives that are in some restaurant food, disagrees with me. I went to Marie Callender's for one dinner and ended up with a very bad cough for a short while afterwards. That is one of the several symptoms I get from eating certain foods. I also am allergic to wheat - a whole other article.

Getting my things unpacked has taken longer than I expected since I had to repaper all the shelves. I did not use Contac paper this time, but decided to get the more expensive plastic liner. Cutting it to the right size and putting it in every cupboard and drawer took ages, but at least everything is now beautifully clean and tidy. Now that I am trying to be more organized I am having difficulty finding room for everything, even though I have hauled several boxes of various items down to the garage. (Getting the garage organized is another matter since the boxes are heavy and piled on shelving.)

Unfortunately the painters missed several areas and also there are places that need touch up, nail holes not filled and some spray paint on the beamed wood ceiling. The foreman promised to come last Sunday, but hasn't appeared yet. This coming weekend is the next date, but I think I may just do most of the touch up myself to save a lot more mess.

I have also become rather addicted to word games on pogo.com. Probably good for my brain but not for any other area of my life. I particularly cannot play late in the evening, or my brain continues them for hours afterwards !!

Back to my unpacking, still about 8 boxes to go. The house does look very nice, amazing what a new coat of paint does. The walls are cream throughout, and they were textured. The kitchen cabinets are a light brown with a little pink in it and in the bathroom the small cupboards are a deep dark -almost burgundy color. It is rather a drab dark little room and the color really brightens it up. In fact I like it best of all the colors I chose. Next major project is to have my floor tile put in and remove this terrible old carpet and tile which has long since passed it's prime !!

No comments: