Monday, April 11, 2016

Some of the More Interesting of the Family Letters (when people actually wrote real ones !!)

1)   Oliver Family - letter to my mother from my grandmother dated May 24 1946. She was living in Bexhill, Sussex at this time.  Unfortunately I never got to know this grandmother and only recall meeting her once -  I spent a day at her house when I was about 5 or 6 years old.   My mother was annoyed as I returned home with my hair cut short.    I also remember getting some lovely new dresses !

"Dear Lesley

I am indeed grieved to hear that all has gone wrong again.   I did so hope and pray that you and John would find happiness together once more - but I suppose it was not to be.   He and I had words about it some days ago.   I felt that something was wrong - because of John coming over here but could get nothing out of him.   It was only when I received your letter that I knew the true facts of the case.   In view of what you wrote I think you are taking the best way out.   I've told John what I think of the whole incident. 

I do hope you won't let all this unpleasantness interfere with my friendship with you and my affection and interest in the children, and perhaps later on - you and they will come over and see me.   I am none too well and these things don't help me.

My love and kisses for the children,

Yours affectionately.   G.G. Agar

As the result of what I said to John, he left here very early Wed. morning."

2)   Letter from Pamela Barnard (undated)

"How I wish you and I could have an afternoon - or even day - together quite alone without any interruptions and sit down at a large firm table and spread out all the letters, photos, notebooks and pictures.  You could ask me questions and we would discuss everything.  So impossible to do it by letter and there are so many things I could tell you that I'm sure would interest you.  You know our ancestors came from Wiltshire and Berkshire.  There are still any amount of Neates in that part of the world.  My grandmother lived in the village f Froxfield near Hungerford, Berkshire when she was a child."

She had sent me a family tree and had this to say about it:

"I got the original from a woman who had married on of the Wilsons and who was living in a flat in Worthing.  She had met him when working in a draper's shop in Crouch End, North London, belonging to the Wilsons* and I always meant to get in touch with them as they knew so much about the family but I hear they have given the shop up and it's being pulled down, which was quite a shock.  I would very much like to contact them and ask them to let me copy anything interesting.  The James' used to come and see my Grandmother, Hilda, Howard** etc.   They had and very likely still have, a leather business in the City of London.  They made handbags, suitcases and various things and used to give my Grandmother Christmas presents made of leather."

*One called Jane Wilson after her grandmother.

** Howard - unknown to me.

No comments: