Friday, September 19, 2008

Cake Decorating

I went to a local church last night to watch one of the members decorate a cake. She had baked a large cake and surrounded it with numerous cupcakes. She explained that she had cut the top slightly to make the correct shape so that it would look like a tiger and had brought strips of licorice and numerous colored jelly beans, and some chocolate icing. The cake had already been decorated with yellow icing and she took a small brush and painted on some chocolate lines for whiskers and then pulled apart the licorice for decoration. After placing the first couple of licorice strings she licked her fingers. I thought it was done in a moment of absent mindedness, but amazingly each time she placed the licorice and jelly beans she would lick the stickiness off ! I looked at my neighbor and raised my eyebrows and she started to giggle slightly.

After the decorating was finished we all admired the cake and it did look very nice. I was new to the group so there was no way I was going to speak up, and in any case, the point was moot after the first few licks. I made up my mind there was nothing that would induce me to eat any of it. Apparently everyone else felt the same way. The woman who had done the decorating left after she had finished, while the rest of us stayed for another talk, and the cake remained untouched on the table. I joked to my neighbor, "Want some licky tiger cake ?" and we both had a good laugh. I imagine the cake ended up in the trash bin. What a waste !

No comments: