Sunday, February 7, 2021

Biographies of the Family

You might wonder why I would spend time writing about the quite ordinary people in my family, but it seems sad to me that those I have known and loved should end up as nothing but names and dates on a family tree and perhaps a few photographs. There is so much more to most people and I want to turn them into something real (hopefully) and attempt to bring them to life for future generations.

The Barnard siblings who remained in England most of their lives were Naomi, Lesley, Hugh and Joan.  Those that I knew as a child were all interesting personalities.    Physically very attractive, with an unusual upbringing.

The three younger boys in that family - Donald, Noel and David were also characters in their own way.  I never met David or Noel, but I did know Donald a little.   He has a book written about him and his flying career (some of the photos are misnamed, which was my brother, Richard's, mistake).    Noel was renowned for wild behavior as a young man, due to the ingestion of too much alcohol.   David was more stable and took over the family plantations when his father was no longer able to manage them due to cataracts.   He is the father of Sean Anthony, Prime Minister of St. Lucia (twice).   Sean changed his last name due to its connection with the landowning class.

The Barnard side also provided the names, Beausire (French) and Parker (English)  Both with a little something extra mixed in racially.

There were also cousins, Cyril, Bertie and Denis Barnard. 

My father's side of the family were mostly in the linen trade, medical field or preachers originating in Ireland, England and Scotland (Oliver, Caville, Dudgeon, Clark), or in the case of my grandmother Wales and England (Hendy/Neate).


No comments: